Thursday, July 15, 2010

Do you like to talk and text on your cell phone while driving? Save some rainy day funds

The state of New Jersey is about to get a lot tougher on talking and texting scofflaws with penalties that may include a suspension of your driving privileges after a third offense. State Sen. Richard Codey of Essex County is pushing for the Garden State to have the toughest talking and texting while driving laws anywhere in the USA. Codey has introduced a bill that would suspend drivers’ licenses for 60 days after their third offense. As the law currently reads, the fine is $100 for each offense (no points given). Codey wants to raise the penalty to $100 for a first offense, $250 for a second and $500 and the sixty day ban on driving for a third offense. He'd also like to see points assigned to drivers records if they are caught.

What say you citizens? Do you talk and text on your cellie while you drive (It's OK, you can be anonymous in comments)? Do you think bigger penalties will help curb this problem? Comment section awaits.

2 comments:

Trixie Junior Space Punk said...

I think it's a brilliant idea; if people are too stupid to stop doing it on their own, then stiffening penalties is the only way to go. I do not talk on the phone while driving and I would not dream of texting. I drive a manual so I need all my hands for that but for me I believe that driving should be the only thing I'm focused on behind the wheel. A lot of people think they can do it with no problem, but I've gotten stuck behind these people as they drift in the lanes or slow because their attention is taken away from the road. I know some readers may bitch about the nanny state, but I have no problem with this because I would never be busted for it and I'd like to know the roads are a bit safer for me on my commute.

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

I'm with ya sister